I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brunch in the East #3: Baba Sus

Who wakes up at 8am on a Saturday morning with a craving for matcha (green tea)? Me.

And that's how I stumbled upon Baba Sus whilst I was adventurously looking for any cafes that served matcha (green tea) latte.

I turned to The Boyfriend, who was still fast asleep and excitedly gave him a little nudge. "Babe, wake up! Let's go for brekkie! I found a new place just next to Burwood Station."

It took me at least 30 minutes to drag the poor boy out of bed whilst chanting "Let's go, let's go!" the whole time. I must have been pretty annoying; sorry, my love!

Baba Sus was already pretty busy when we got there, and there was only one table left outside. We decided we'd brave the cold, all for the sake of my matcha latte.

I was really excited when my matcha latte arrived, but after having my first sip, I was a little let down. :(

It was alright, but it didn't hit the right spot. It tasted just like the ones I make at home but I was expecting something a little more, perhaps a little more unique or cafe quality, like tana cafe's.

Thankfully though the food made up for it. I had the corn and zucchini croquettes served with house-cured salmon, herb aioli, asparagus, frisee, and a gooey poached egg.

The dish was not only beautifully presented but also very delicious!! Here's a winning shot of the gooey golden egg yolk, streaming down the croquettes. Mmmm!

The Boyfriend on the other hand, really enjoyed the soba noodles served with tempura (king prawn, enoki, pumpkin), gooey tea egg, nori, daikon, and soy dipping sauce.

The tempura was fried to a crisp perfection, and went hand in hand with the soba noodles. We both love Japanese inspired breakfasts as they're rather light yet so satisfyingly delicious!

Service was friendly but a tad slow. Although having said that, I guess they were understandably busy. So whilst the food did take quite a while to arrive, it was worth the wait.

As Baba Sus is only a short 5 minutes drive from The Boyfriend's place, I see ourselves frequenting this Asian inspired local cafe in the near future. We're planning to cycle there next time and I look forward to trying their Hong Kong egg waffles and mocha then.

Baba Sus on Urbanspoon
Baba Sus's address can be a little confusing; it is said to be located at Camberwell on Urbanspoon or Glen Iris on Google Maps, but if you're catching the train, take the Alamein line to Burwood station, and it is literally behind the train stop.

If you're planning a visit, my advice is definitely to get in early as there was a long queue by the time we were done at around 11-ish. Hope you'll enjoy the food as much as we did! :)

*********

Updated 25th April: It was raining this morning and we wanted to go somewhere close by as my tummy was grumbling in hunger.

We decided to revisit Baba Sus again as it is only a short 5 minutes drive away and thankfully the wait wasn't too long. :)

I was really keen to try the mocha so I ordered myself a cuppa. I very shamelessly asked if I could get a cute coffee art as seen on Baba Sus's Instagram and was rewarded with this little piglet. Heh, so so cute!

The Boyfriend on the other hand was after something a little more refreshing so he ordered a Lemmy Lemonade. I love how cute the packaging of the bottle is, and it is actually one of the nicest bottled lemonade I've ever had. Lemmy Lemonade originates from New Zealand - we're definitely going to look out for this brand next time.

Although The Boyfriend really wanted to re-order the soba noodles, I convinced him to try something different. He opted for The Piglette - Asian inspired pulled pork omelette with mushrooms, chilli jam and bean shoot salad on the side.

This dish was very delicious; the omelette was cooked to perfection and the pulled pork was tender, full of flavour and had a good spice. Although the bean shoots were a little too raw for our liking, I will still give this dish a thumbs up for the great flavour combination!

We came back mainly for these Hong Kong Egg Waffles that I was eyeing since the last visit. Thankfully it did not let me down. The egg waffles were soft and deliciously paired with vanilla custard, green tea ice cream, berry compote, and pistachio praline.

It would have been perfect if it was a tad crispier on the outside but I still enjoyed it regardless. I hope they bring a savoury version of these 雞蛋仔 with bacon and maple syrup next!

Now that I've tried all the dishes that I was eyeing before, I guess we'll be returning only when they introduce the winter menu. ;)

No comments :

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)