I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Friday, April 20, 2012

Melt-in-Mouth Pineapple Tarts

When I first returned to Melbourne after spending Chinese New Year in Malaysia, you'd think I'd be over and done with all the festive cookies.

But no, instead I had this really massive craving for pineapple tarts. Knowing very well that it's close to impossible to get any good ones from here, I decided I should take matters into my own hands.

This is my first attempt at making pineapple tarts and I was very nervous. Because if I screw up, I'd be disappointed in myself and also have no tarts. And you will get one little upset cheffie.

I did my homework well, read up PLENTY of pineapple tarts recipes and tips. Finally, I decided to go with Table for Two's recipe.

I like how her post was very thorough with all the details I needed. It helped big time, especially for a first-timer who had no experience.

The preparation was easy despite the fact that the jam took quite a while to cook, but the wrapping process... Man, t'was a nightmare!

Well, it wasn't to say, very difficult, but it was just an arduous task having to roll all the jam into balls, followed by the pastry dough.

But let me tell you this, all the arduous effort was definitely worth it. :) Although my skills in wrapping aren't up to par, but the tarts were very delicious, if I may say so myself.

The way it melts in your mouth... I felt really proud of myself. And to see my family and friends devour these babies and singing my praises, I was floating on cloud nine!

If you too are feeling adventurous, why don't you give this awesome recipe a go? I bet you wouldn't regret. Satisfaction guaranteed! :D

Melt-in-Mouth Pineapple Tarts
Recipe adapted from Table for Two & modified by The Bakeanista

(A) Homemade Pineapple Jam
Ingredients:
900g pineapple (I used canned pineapple chunks)
400g sugar (in the future, I'd reduce to 350g)
1 cinnamon stick

Methods:
1) Put half of the pineapple chunks into the blender, add 1/3 cup water and pulse. Add remaining pineapple chunks and continue to blend.

2) Pour the blended pineapple into a pan or wok, and cook pineapple paste with cinnamon stick on medium heat until pasty, like thick oatmeal.

3) After the cooked pineapple jam has lost 80% of its water content, add in sugar. It will turn watery again but don't worry, it's normal. The jam splatters quite a bit, so be careful.

4) Turn to lower medium heat, and cook until very pasty. Stir occasionally, but be sure to keep an eye on it to ensure that the pineapple jam don't burn.

5) When the jam is pasty enough, increase the heat to high to allow the base to take on some colour and caramelize the jam. Stop when the jam reaches your preferred colour and consistency.

I think preparing the jam one day ahead would make it easier for you to focus on the tarts the following day. Please refer to Table for 2's pineapple jam post for additional helpful notes. 

B) Pastry
Ingredients:
250g salted butter 
75g caster sugar
170g cream 
 50g cream cheese 
3 egg yolks
400g cake flour, sifted together with
30g corn flour 
1 additional egg yolk (for glazing)

Method:

1) Sift cake flour and corn flour together, then set aside.

2) Using a cake mixer, blend the butter, sugar, cream cheese and cream together for approximately 10 minutes until you get a creamy mixture. Remember to scrape the sides from time to time.

3) Beat in the 3 egg yolks one at a time, and mix until well incorporated.

4) Gradually add in the sifted flour into the creamed butter mixture. Mix on low until the dough comes together. Ensure that the dough is smooth and oily enough to not stick to your hand. Yes, it does look like a cake batter.

5) Allow the dough to stand for 10 minutes - this will help you manage the dough better.

6) Divide dough into small balls and the pineapple filling into balls roughly 1/2 the size of the dough. 

7) Wrap filling ball within the dough ball and shape as desired. It takes a bit of time, but once you get a hang of it, you'll start to speed up.

Step-by-step picture - Credit to Table for Two

8) Preheat your oven at 180°C for 15 mins in a oven or if using convection oven with turbo fan, lower temperature to 160°C.

9) Glaze your tarts with egg yolk and bake for 15-20 minutes until the tarts are golden brown on the top.

10) Enjoy your pineapple tart! Om nom nom nom! :D

4 comments :

Michelle Chin said...

still looks really nice even though you said that it did not look good. :)

The Bakeanista said...

Awwww thank you! :) *happy*

Anonymous said...

i follow accordingly but the pastry flattened out upon baking; any idea why? also, was your batter really sticky?

The Bakeanista said...

Hi Anonymous, sorry to hear that your pastry did not turn out quite the same. My batter was sticky and definitely quite difficult to handle, that I had to use plastic gloves. However, I'm not sure as to why your pastry flattened. Could it be because you did not put in enough fillings?

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)